Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Forgotten Dark Cage in the Back

Hi guys.  Piglet here.  I'm pink!  Ha-ha.  Aren't I cute?  All the pittys, they have this bet going that I'll be the one that's gonna make it.  In the shelter the dogs like us, we don't really have much of a chance.  But being pink, we thought maybe the families would want me.  The mean lady that worked there, she laughed and said, 'when pigs fly!'  Then she snapped this picture.  There's a little distress in my eyes, you can see it if you look close.    

Then I got ringworm on my leg.  They put me in the quarantine holding kennels, behind a chain link fence that the families had no access to.   Oh how I cried!  How would a family ever find me here?  I'm just six months old.  I wanna see the world.  I wanna feel grass.  I wanna run with the wind.  Lie in the sun.  Sniff some butt.  I'd heard these stories about the fun you can have chasing frisbees, and chewing on shoes.  How would I ever know if the stories were true if I didn't get out?

Then the most wonderful thing happened.   A rescue angel came.   Oh, she was real nice.  We played and I wiggled with happiness.  And she told me she had a family for me!!!  A family with three children, in a land far, far away called Chicago.  I was gonna fly!!!!  On a giant steel bird.  This pig was gonna fly!  Ha-ha!  I lifted my leg on the mean worker, just because I could.  You woulda done the same.  Well, maybe you wouldn't of.  Maybe you're smarter than me.

Things did not go so well from there on out.  The mean lady put me in the needle room.  She didn't tell anyone where I was.  And I guess the person at the entrance had a bad night or something because she didn't tell anyone that the rescue angel was there to get me.  I fought hard.  Until the needle went in.

It was a strange feeling.  I rose out of my body, floated around the room for a minute, then I found my way to the lobby.  And there I saw the rescue angel, her face in her hands.  She was crying.  The dying wasn't so bad, but it broke my heart to see her cry.   

I'm doing okay, really.  Tomorrow I'm gonna cross the rainbow bridge and find all my pitty friends.  I think God loves us especially the most because there are so many of us in the land beyond.  But before I go, I'm taking this one shot at loveliness and writing my story to you.  Wish me luck!  And please always remember the forgotten dark cage in the back.

Forever yours,
Piglet 

No comments:

Post a Comment